SCHOOL HISTORY

1803-1879 FIRST GERMAN SCHOOL IN BRUSSELS

1803 Foundation of a protestant German School in Brussels 1879 Closing of the school due to abolishment of the subsidies

1892-1919 SECOND GERMAN SCHOOL IN BRUSSELS

1892 New establishment of the German School in Rue des Plantes 13
1894 Relocation to Rue du Grand Hospice 21
1897 Relocation to Impasse du Parc 2-3
1902 Relocation to Rue des Minimes 17
1910 Establishment of the alumni association
1912 First school leaving examination for girls
1919 Layoff of all teachers

1929-1944 THIRD GERMAN SCHOOL IN BRUSSELS

1929 Resumption of teaching in Rue des Minimes
1944 Dissolution of the German School

1951 – 1980 FOURTH GERMAN SCHOOL IN BRUSSELS

1951 Foundation of the German School Association in Brussels / new establishment in Av. Vandendriesche 73
1952-1954 Headmaster: Dr. Peter Michels
1952 Relocation to Avenue de Tervuren 284
1954-1962 Headmaster: Dr. Hans Göttling
1958-1986 President of the school association: Freddy de Medicis
1962-1965 Headmaster: Paul Löwenich
1965-1972 Headmaster: Franz Baez
1968 Construction of the school building in Wezembeek-Oppem
1969 Relocation to Lange Eikstraat 71 in Wezembeek-Oppem
1973-1978 Headmaster: Dr. Werner Haubrich
1978-1985 Headmaster: Dr. Lothar Wittmann
1979 Construction of the primary school building opposite the main building

1980-2005

1985-1993 Headmaster: Dieter Schiefer
1986-2002 President of the school association: Dr. Klaus Meyer-Horn
1993-1996 Headmaster: Günther Dischinger
1993 The school’s year book is published for the first time
1996-2004 Headmaster: Helmut Jolk
1996 School is presented on the Internet for the first time
1998 Introduction of French as a partner language starting from the 1st class
1998 Start of renovation works in the secondary school building (until 2000)
1999 Shortening of the schooling duration to 12 years (as the first German school)
2001 Introduction of the class association in the upper secondary level / establishment of an electronic school network
2002-2008 President of the school association: Jürgen Ernst
2002 Opening of the technical secondary school for economics, administration, and law
2003 Introduction of harmonized teaching hours in the elementary and secondary school
2003 Introduction of laptops in classes for the technical secondary school
2004 Simultaneous school leaving examination in the 12- and 13-year system / first-time award of the advanced technical college certificate
2004-2010 Headmaster: Dr. Walter Karbach

2005

  • Renaming to International German School of Brussels (German abbreviation – iDSB)
  • Performance and grant agreement with the Federal Administrative Office
  • Introduction of bilingual groups in the kindergarten and pre-school
  • Introduction of English in the primary school
  • Introduction of bilingual history classes in English
  • Introduction of the full-day open day in the primary school
  • Start of renovation work in the primary school building (up to 2007)

2006

  • Online self-evaluation with the Bertelsmann Foundation
  • Target agreement on educational quality management with BVA
  • Introduction of Business English in the technical secondary school
  • Introduction of the European portfolio of languages

2007

  • External evaluation through external peer review
  • Purchase of digital boards in the secondary school
  • Introduction of principles of cooperative learning

2008

  • Introduction of vocational internship in the secondary school
  • School inspection by the Federal and State Government: “Excellent German Foreign School” certificate
  • 1st prize of the DIHK competition – “Pupils building global bridges”
  • Introduction of a new full-day system in the secondary school
  • Introduction of a new hourly timetable in the secondary school / introduction of economics
2008-2011 President of the school association: Dr. Jörg-Thomas Dierks

2011

2011 First award of the German International Abitur (DIAP)
From 2011 - 2017 Headmaster: Jürgen Langlet
From 2011 president of the school association: Andreas Beckmann

2012

  • Introduction of bilingual biology lessons in English
  • Introduction of Spanish as a third foreign language (optional)
  • Introduction of a scientific profile in classes 8-9
  • Introduction of performance-based learning groups in English and French
  • Introduction of tablets for all teachers
  • Introduction of regular teaching activities, binding teamwork, and parallel class work

2013

  • Start of a close cooperation with the D Y Patil International School in Antwerp

2014

  • School inspection by the Federal and State Government: “Excellent German Foreign School” certificate

2015

  • Start of the annual “Jugend Musiziert” competition
  • First-time participation in the “Model United Nations” competition

2017

  • Staging of the “Jugend Musiziert” competition for Northern and Eastern Europe
  • Principal: Bettina Biste

Our partners

 

Internationally accredited